AudioQuest DragonFly Red v1.0 USB Digital-to-Analog Converter
About the AudioQuest DragonFly Red v1.0
Plug-in USB DAC/headphone amplifier, compatible with Apple and Android mobile devices
AudioQuest'sDragonFly DACs have always plugged right into your computer's USB port to deliver an instant audio upgrade. Now with the DragonFly Red, you can also get that same clear, dynamic sound with your Apple or Android mobile devices. The design gurus at AudioQuest not only gave the Red a far more energy-efficient design — ideal for portable use — but they even managed to enhance its performance. The DragonFly Red's low power consumption makes it a perfect companion for your smartphone or tablet.
Low power consumption
The first thing that AudioQuest did was to give the Red a new high-performance USB microcontroller with greatly reduced power consumption (77% less, to be exact) for true compatibility with mobile devices. The new chip also provides an improved signal-to-noise ratio for quieter operation and cleaner sound. Plus, it enables future software upgrades through AudioQuest's free desktop application.
Improved sound quality
AudioQuest also replaced the DragonFly's original DAC chip with an improved 32-bit ESS Sabre 9016 processor. This high-performance DAC features minimum-phase filtering for exceptionally detailed, dynamic, and natural sound. The 9016 also comes with the latest ESS headphone amplifier and bit-perfect digital volume control on-board. This powerful headphone amp gives even hard-to-drive headphones plenty of volume and punch. The 64-bit digital volume control offers super-precise sound level adjustment with no loss of detail.
Enjoy high-res USB audio
Along with all the sonic benefits the DragonFly provides for your compressed and CD-quality music files, it also decodes high-resolution data streams with up to 24-bit/96kHz resolution, so you can enjoy better-than-CD audio quality. If you download high-res music files from HDtracks and other audiophile sources, this DAC will ensure they sound terrific. The dragonfly-shaped logo on the DAC's exterior even lights up and changes color to verify the resolution of the incoming signal.
Connections and controls
Plug your headphones directly into the DragonFly's stereo mini audio output jack for high-energy private listening. You can also use an optional stereo mini-to-mini cable or mini-to-RCA adapter to feed a line-level signal to a pair of powered speakers, power amplifier, or receiver for more robust, room-filling sound. And although it's operated from your computer screen or mobile device's interface, the DragonFly's bit-perfect digital volume control avoids any reduction in resolution or sound quality that can plague other digital volume controls. These refinements add up to music with a natural solidity and clarity that sounds dramatically better than what you would hear from your computer or smartphone on their own.
Traveling with your laptop and DragonFly?
If you plan on taking your laptop and DragonFly with you (it is highly portable, after all), you'll want to play it safe. AudioQuest's flexible DragonTail USB extender provides strain relief that can protect your computer's USB port if someone bumps into your laptop on a plane or in the coffee shop. The DragonTail also helps take some of the strain off that port when you're plugging in headphones with a heavy cable.
- - Compatible with Windows® and Mac® computers
- Compatible with iPhone® and iPad®
- requires Lightning-to-USB adapter (not included); Apple's Lightning-to-USB Camera Adapter recommended for best results
- Compatible with some Android™ devices
- requires a 5-pin USB micro to 4-pin USB A female adapter to connect an Android device
- - 32-bit ESS Sabre™ 9016 digital-to-analog conversion chip with minimum phase filter for detailed, dynamic, and natural-sounding music
- - High-efficiency microcontroller for extremely low power draw
- - High-performance ESS headphone amplifier
- - Powered by USB connection — no need for external power supply
- - Asynchronous USB data transfer using Wavelength Audio, ltd.'s Streamlength® protocol for reduced timing jitter and better sound
- - Offers rendering for MQA (Master Quality Authenticated) audio files with firmware update
- 3.5mm stereo minijack provides:
- headphone output (minimum recommended headphone impedance 12 ohms and higher)
- variable line-level output for driving powered speakers or power amp
- fixed line-level output for connecting to a preamp or receiver
- - 64-step, bit-perfect digital volume control (operated via your computer or mobile device)
- Supported sample rates: PCM up to 96kHz native resolution
- (sample rates above 96kHz will play but are down-converted by your computer or mobile device's playback software)
- - Incoming sample rate LED indicator for 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, and 96kHz sampling rates
- - Input bit depth: 16 bits, 24 bits
- - Output voltage: 2.1 Vrms
- - Durable metal construction with red hardshell finish
- - no cables included
- Supported operating systems:
- Windows® 7, 8.1, and 10
- Apple OS X® (version 10.6.8 or later)
- Apple iOS® (5 and newer)
- Android™ Lollipop OS (and some devices running KitKat OS)
- - 3/4"W x 1/2"H x 2-3/8"D
- - Warranty: 1 year
What's in the box:
- - USB DAC/Preamp/Headphone Amp (protection cap installed)
- - Storage pouch
- - Instruction Booklet
- - Warranty Registration Card
- - HDtracks brochure