Inspired by MartinLogan's ultra-high-end electrostatic loudspeakers, the Motion Series was created to provide stunning sound for your ultimate-performance home theater or stereo. MartinLogan's dedicated in-house engineers carefully crafted the Motion SLM-XL
Enjoy a rich listening experience with the décor-friendly Motion SLM XL speaker from MartinLogan. This sleek, wall-mountable speaker delivers high-impact sound with pinpoint imaging, and superb realism — perfect for enveloping surround sound.
- 1" x 1.4" Folded Motion™ tweeter for exceptional musical detail with low distortion
- two 4" paper cone bass/midrange drivers
- four 4" paper cone passive radiators
- high-precision audiophile-grade crossover network
- frequency response 100-25,000 Hz (±3dB)
- sensitivity 94 dB
- impedance: 4 ohms
- recommended amplifier power: 20-140 watts
- one pair of push-style binding posts
- gloss black finish
- includes wall-mounting bracket and curved black-glass base
- also includes "kick-stand" brackets for free-standing center channel applications
- 6-7/16"W x 34-1/8"H x 1-15/16"D
- weight: 9 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years (with product registration)
What's in the Box:
- Ultra-slim loudspeaker
- Magnetic grille (installed)
- MartinLogan magnetic logo
- Vertical stand body
- Vertical stand base
- 2 Horizontal stands
- Three #8 x 3/4" screws
- Three1.5" screws
- 3 Drywall anchors
- Two M5 x 30mm screws
- User's Manual (En/Fr)
- Installation template
- Product Registration Card
Two-Way Speaker/Passive Radiator Design: The secret to the Motion SLM-XL ultra-slim speaker's outstanding performance is the innovative dual 4" ultra-slim fiber cone woofers and quadruple 4" high-velocity passive bass radiators, paired with a Folded Motion tweeter to create smooth, refined sound with stunning dynamic range and excellent clarity.
- Folded Motion Tweeter: MartinLogan's Folded Motion tweeter helps give the Motion SLM-XL ultra-slim loudspeaker its natural, realistic high frequency sound. Lightning fast transient response, combined with a large surface area (8x that of a typical 1" dome tweeter) creates clear, dynamic, and precise sound. The 1" x 1.4" Folded Motion tweeter works by moving air (which creates sound) perpendicular to the folded ridges of the diaphragm, similar to how an accordion works. This extremely low mass diaphragm "squeezes" air and requires almost 90% less excursion than the typical 1" dome tweeter, which drastically minimizes distortion while providing a lightning fast response time. The increased surface area also provides a wide, yet controlled sound dispersion (80°x80°) to create a realistic and carefully etched sound stage.
- Dual Ultra-Slim Woofers + Quadruple Passive Bass Radiators: Two 4" paper cone woofers are coupled with four 4" paper cone passive radiators to provide rich, detailed midrange and midbass that complement MartinLogan's Folded Motion tweeter perfectly.
Precision Crossovers: To seamlessly blend the audio output from the high frequency driver (tweeter) and the midbass drivers (woofers), the Motion SLM-XL loudspeaker features a precision 3100Hz crossover utilizing custom air core coil and low DCR steel laminate inductors, polyester film capacitors in series, and low DF electrolytic capacitors in parallel.
Ultra-Slim Cabinet: The high-gloss black ultra-slim cabinet is only 1.875" deep, for a total wall protrusion of 2.0" with the included wall mount bracket. Hidden discretely underneath the grille, the drivers are held securely in place by a solid, black-anodized brushed aluminum baffle.
Spring-Post Connectors: The MartinLogan Motion SLM-XL speaker features two spring-post connectors to attach your speaker wire. The spring-posts will accept bare wire (16- to 12-gauge) and pin-connectors. The rubber caps on the spring-post connectors must be removed to use banana plugs.
Applications: The Folded Motion tweeter has an 80° x 80° dispersion pattern, which allows the Motion SLM-XL ultra-slim speaker to sound exactly the same in a horizontal or vertical orientation, making them perfect for Left-Center-Right (LCR) system applications. Or, use them as rear surround speakers. Because of its ultra-slim design, the Motion SLM-XL is perfect for wall-mounting next to your flat-panel television.
Note: This speaker is not magnetically shielded and therefore should not be placed directly beside or atop a CRT television.
Mounting Options: The MartinLogan SLM-XL loudspeaker can be wall mounted next to your flat-panel TV using the keyhole slot on the back of the speaker and the included wall-mount bracket. The speaker can be mounted vertically or horizontally (for center-channel application) on your wall. While MartinLogan created the Motion SLM-XL to wall mount next to a flat-panel TV, that's not its only application. Also, included with the ultra-slim speaker is a curved black base to allow them to sit vertically on a shelf, stand, or equipment cabinet. In addition, the speaker includes two "kick-stands" that attach to the back of the cabinet that allow you rest the loudspeaker horizontally on a flat surface and use it as a center-channel speaker. Dimensions of speaker:
- Wall-Mounted: 6.4375.125" (w) x 34.125" (h) x 2.0" (d)
- Vertical Base: 10.0625" (w) x 36.625" (h), 8.125" (d)
- Horizontal Kick Stands: 34.125" (w) x 6.4375" (h) x 3.875" (d)
Note: The logo on the grille is magnetic and can move and rotate to the proper atheistically pleasing location in any orientation.
Break-in Period: Allow approximately 72 hours of break-in at 90 dB (moderate listening levels) before any critical listening.