Marantz NR1509 Ultra-Slim 5.2-Channel Network AV Receiver
Today’s top home-theater receivers can be real beasts – powerful and versatile, but also huge and heavy, intimidating and ungainly. Marantz puts the modern A/V receiver on a diet with its line of svelte, attractive and value-priced ultra-slim units. The new NR1509 offers six HDMI inputs with full support for all the latest 4K HD video platforms out of the box, packs five discrete high-current amps and Dolby and DTS for solid cinematic sound, streams easily from your home network, phone or pad with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and AirPlay2, and answers when you ask Alexa for assistance. And with HEOS built-in, you can stream from all of the top celestial jukeboxes and control a whole house of sound with a simple single app. Of course, as a Marantz, it sounds superb and is engineered to endure. In short, the ultra-slim NR1509 5.2-channel networked receiver is built like a tank, and looks like a sports car.
- - Six HDMI inputs, all supporting 4K Ultra HD, high dynamic range, Dolby Vision, 3D pass-through and Hybrid-Log Gamma
- - Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio digital surround formats
- - Composite video inputs for legacy equipment, plus optical and coaxial digital inputs, front-panel USB, analog audio inputs – including phono – and pre-amp outputs
- - Dual subwoofer connections
- - 5.2 surround with five discrete high-current amplifiers (50 watts per channel), plus ECO mode for reduced power consumption
- - Pure Direct mode for pristine audio reproduction
- - Sophisticated DAC circuitry decodes high-resolution audio files including WAV, FLAC and ALAC up to 192 kHz, and DSD up to 5.6 MHz
- - Built-in dual-band Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and Apple AirPlay 2 for streaming from any device
- - HEOS offers app-based access to online music services including Spotify, Pandora, TuneIn, iHeart Radio, Amazon Music, Napster, Deezer and your own home network
- - Audyssey MultEQ with included microphone tunes system to environment
- - Amazon Alexa integration via HEOS skill
- - Dimensions: 4.1” high, 17.3” wide, 14.5” deep
- - Weight: 18.1 lbs.
- - Warranty: 2 years
The latest video capabilities
It may be slender, but the NR1509 offers a full plate of video options. You get six HDMI inputs (one conveniently located on the front panel). The circuitry supports all current ultra high-definition formats and protocols, including 4K/60Hz, high dynamic range (HDR) and Dolby Vision for vastly improved ranges of color and brightness with finer details, plus HDCP 2.2 (the copy protection that makes the rest possible), hybrid-log gamma (HLG) for broadcasts and more. You see every detail that the camera captures.
Five amps to surround you
The NR1509 incorporates a full 5.2-channel surround system, with dual subwoofer outputs. Five discrete amplifier channels are conservatively rated at 50 watts each with very low distortion across all audible frequencies, and they’re stable even into difficult-to-drive loads. Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master supply cinematic surround. And the proprietary ECO Mode serves to reduce power consumption to match listening levels.
Your hookup is here
No matter whether you have the latest all-digital equipment or lots of legacy analog audio sources, the NR1509 accommodates. You can connect composite video and audio, your turntable and moving magnet cartridge, optical or coaxial digital, even a front-panel USB connection for stored music files.
High-resolution digital audio
Marantz’ superior DAC circuitry can decode nearly any digital audio format available today, including the latest high-resolution music files. Pristine FLAC, Apple Lossless and WAV formats are handled up to 192 kHz sampling rates, and bitstream DSD up to 5.6 MHz.
Tune to the room – or clear a path
With Audyssey MultEQ, the Marantz NR1509 automatically tunes your entire system, from electronics to speakers and subwoofers, to room acoustics and reflections, for the most natural reproduction. Just take a few measurements with the included microphone, and Audyssey does the rest. Dynamic EQ adjusts the tonal balance for any listening level, and Dynamic Volume keeps you from being blasted out by loud commercials. For audio purists, Pure Direct mode clears tone adjustments and equalization, and even turns off the analog video circuitry and front-panel display, to eliminate noise and distortion and just deliver unsullied sound.
A jukebox in the palm of your hand
The NR1509 comes complete with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and Apple’s new multi-room AirPlay 2, for instant streaming from any device. And it incorporates the Denon/Marantz wireless audio ecosystem called HEOS. Just download the app for Apple, Android and Kindle, and control a house full of music from a single screen. Tap into your home server to stream from your library. Or choose from major online music services such as Deezer, Tidal, Spotify and Pandora (subscriptions may be required). With additional HEOS speakers, pipe music from a single source throughout the house, control each room individually, or add wireless surround speakers to your theater system.
And just ask Alexa for aid
Through the Smart Home Skill for Entertainment Devices, Amazon’s amazing Alexa controls your Marantz receiver and HEOS’ musical options, all via voice. The NR1509 is “Works with Amazon Alexa” certified.
Simple to setup and use
You’d think building so much technology into such a slim package would make setup and operation complicated. But the NR1509 takes you by the hand and guides you through setup, with color-coded premium speaker terminals, a Quick Start Guide and on-screen Setup Assistant. Control the entire system through the included remote – including four Smart Select buttons to save your favorite sources and their associated settings – or download the free Marantz 2016 AVR Remote app for iOS, Android and Kindle.
- - Dimensions (W x H x D): 17.3" x 4.1" x 14.5"
- - Weight: 18.1 lbs.
- - 50W per channel (8 ohm, 20Hz - 20kHz, 0.08% THD)
- - 4K/60Hz full-rate passthrough, 4:4:4 color resolution, HDR and BT.2020, plus Dolby Vision compatibility and Hybrid Log-Gamma (HLG)
- - 6 HDMI inputs (1 front) with full HDCP 2.2 support
- - Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio
- - Built-in Wi-Fi with 2.4GHz/5GHz dual band support
- - Built-in HEOS wireless multi-room audio technology and Alexa voice control
- - AirPlay2, Bluetooth, TuneIn Internet Radio, Pandora, Spotify, Tidal, Deezer, Amazon Prime Music, SiriusXM, Napster, iHeartRadio, Sound Cloud, Network Audio Streaming
- - DSD (2.8/5.6MHz), FLAC, ALAC, and WAV support
- - Audyssey MultEQ, Dynamic Volume, and Dynamic EQ