Klipsch RP-400M Reference Premiere Bookshelf Speakers
If you want big sound for a small space or to complete your movie theater setup, turn to Klipsch’s new entry-level bookshelf speaker in the Reference Premiere line, the RP-400M. Klipsch has been coaxing dynamic, open audio from modestly sized and priced speakers for nearly 70 years. The RP-400M compact model reflects Klipsch’s decades of experience and dedication to excellence. A new-design 1-inch titanium linear-travel tweeter in a vented enclosure fires out through Klipsch’s iconic 90-degree Tractrix horn for better dispersion and rock-solid localization. A 4-inch low/mid frequency driver is made of Klipsch’s trademarked copper Cerametallic material, and the rear-ported horn coaxes even stronger bass from the tiny cabinet. That enclosure is crafted of furniture-grade materials with magnetic grille mounts for an attractive presentation on any bookshelf or stand. Used as main speakers in smaller rooms, or as surrounds in your home theater system, the RP-400M combines with your choice of speakers and subs in the Reference Premiere line to fill most rooms with full-range excitement at a modest price.
- 1-inch titanium linear travel tweeter
- 90-by-90 degree Tractrix horn for wide dispersion and high efficiency
- New vented tweeter enclosure for low distortion
- 4-inch spun copper Cerametallic cone woofer/midrange driver with two-layer copper-wound voice coils
- Rear-firing Tractrix horn for stronger bass
- High efficiency (93dB at 1 watt) for wide dynamic range and easy pairing with modestly powered amps and receivers
- Sturdy MDF cabinet with furniture-grade ebony vinyl finish
- Copper cone, anodized trim ring and satin baffle for stylish presentation with or without grille
- Dimensions: 11.73” (H) x 5.67” (W) x 7.5” (D)
- Weight: 9 lbs.
- Warranty: 5 years
The trademark Tractrix horn
A core design element in Klipsch speakers, then and now, is the horn. Flared 90 degrees vertically and horizontally, the unique Tractrix horn acts as natural amplification for the high-frequency driver (a second Tractrix horn fires out of a rear bass port). The horn not only makes speakers such as the RP-400M quite efficient, but also directs high frequencies right into the sweet spot of the listening area for precise localization of instruments and effects. The Tractrix horn, molded of compressed silicon composite and fitted with a phase plug to reduce resonances, places listeners in the middle of the action or smack-dab at center stage.
An upgraded tweeter
At the center of that Tractrix horn is Klipsch’s latest tweeter design, a 1-inch titanium-diaphragm driver for lightness and rigidity, with high efficiency and low distortion. The proven LTS (linear travel suspension) technology maximizes the piston motion, and an all-new vented housing reduces the reflected (or standing) waves that can compromise performance.
That iconic copper cone
Even before you power it up, you can always spot a Klipsch thanks to the emblematic copper-colored cone. The 4-inch woofer/mid in the RP-400M is formed of Klipsch’s proprietary spun-copper Cerametallic, which adds stiffness while subtracting weight for superior transient reproduction and high efficiency. And the rear-firing Tractrix bass port strengthens low-frequency extension.
Ultra-light drivers = ultra-powerful sound
Klipsch’s horn-loading design, combined with ultra-light and ultra-responsive drivers, means that speakers such as the RP-400M can handle the dynamic range of today’s movie soundtracks – and can rock out when called for. These small speakers match perfectly even with today’s’ modest home-theater receivers and amps.
The cabinetry is made of solid MDF material reinforced for minimal internal resonances. The ebony finish is scratch resistant, and combined with the unique look of copper cones and flared horns, the RP-400M makes a dramatic display on any bookshelf, with or without the attractive and flexible magnetic grille attached.
- Frequency response: 52-25kHz +/-3dB
- Sensitivity: 93dB @ 2.83V/1m
- Power handling (cont/peak): 50W/200W
- Nominal impedance: 8 ohms compatible
- Crossover frequency: 1500Hz
- High-frequency driver: 1” titanium LTS vented tweeter with hybrid cross-section Tractrix horn
- Low frequency driver: 4” Cerametallic cone woofers
- Enclosure material: MDF
- Enclosure type: Bass Reflex via rear-firing Tractrix port
- Inputs: Single binding posts
- Dimensions (H x W x D): 11.73" x 5.67" x 7.5"
- Weight: 9 lbs.
WARNING: California Residents - Proposition 65. This product can expose you to chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information, go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.