GoldenEar ForceField 4 10" Compact Powered Subwoofer with Digital Signal Processing
GoldenEar ForceField4 Subwoofer
The ForceField Subwoofers’ unique and attractive cabinet shape, with its non-parallel cabinet walls (the top is narrower than the bottom when viewed from the front), helps the ForceField subs achieve extraordinarily deep and tuneful bass that is ideal for music and movies. Their cutting-edge amplifier design employs state-of-the-art DSP control for frequency shaping so the subwoofer produces accurate, consistent and musical bass performance.
- Front-firing 10" long-throw woofer
- Built-in 1,200-watt RMS digital amplifier
- 11" x 13" quadratic planar down-firing passive radiator
- Series ForceField
- Features Amp Built In, Passive Radiator Box Design
- Frequency Response 14 Hz - 250 Hz
- LFE input (line-level mono-RCA) for use with a home theater receiver's sub output
- High-pass filter: 150 Hz
- Low-pass filter: 40-150 Hz
- 13-3/8"W x 13-1/8"H x 17-7/8"D
- Weight: 32 lbs.
- Warranty: 5 years (woofer); 3 years (amp)
The Technology Behind The Design
Many of today's subwoofers fall into either the ultra-compact high-output category, or the (larger) high performance, extended response, high-output category. These two design types tend to offer different performance benefits, the ultra compact having the ability to play extremely loud, but over a narrower bandwidth and the large subs having this high output plus more extended response.
ForceField Series: GoldenEar Technology's ForceField Series powered subwoofer has been designed and engineered from the ground up to combine subtle musical detail with high-impact power - all in an attractive, compact enclosure which blends well into practically any room.
High-Output Woofer Coupled To An Infrasonic Bass Radiator: The ForceField Series powered subwoofer combines a high-power, front-firing, ultra-long-throw woofer coupled to a down-firing quadratic planar infrasonic radiator. This configuration brings together the superior transient response and detail of a moderately sized active driver with the subsonic capability and extraordinary room-filling coupling of a large diaphragm radiator.
- 10" Long-Throw Woofer: The GoldenEar Technology ForceField 4 powered subwoofer houses a custom-designed, high-output 10" long-throw woofer with a very large motor assembly. The 10" woofer is front-firing and can handle massive power, has very long excursion, plus offers ultra-low distortion.
- 11" x 13" Passive Radiator: The 10" woofer's bass response is enhanced with a carefully tuned, down-firing, quadratic-shaped passive radiator that measures 11" x 13". The quadratic shape allows the radiator to use maximum surface area on the bottom of the cabinet and get even greater bass output that results from the subwoofer's interface with the floor.
1200W Class D Amplifier: The GoldenEar Technology ForceField 4 powered subwoofer employs a 1200 watt Class D amplifier for dynamic bass performance. The ForceField Series subwoofer amplifier is designed in-house by GoldenEar Technology's engineering team, so each is the perfect amp to power its specific subwoofer model. The ForceField Series powered subwoofer's cutting-edge amplifier design employs state-of-the-art DSP control for frequency shaping so the subwoofer produces accurate, consistent and musical bass performance without distortion or damage from overdriving.
- Programmable Logic Device (PLD): This sophisticated amp has a Programmable Logic Device (PLD) based state machine with a nearly instantaneous 278 nanosecond update time, to perfectly manage a myriad of functions including: soft-clipping, DC offset control, output-stage anti-saturation protection and discrete multi-band limiting.
- DSP (Digital Signal Processing): The DSP control also allows for very precise equalization with extremely low THD (total harmonic distortion), so very little negative feedback is required, thus ensuring optimum transient and linear performance.
Rear-Panel Controls: The GoldenEar Technology ForceField Series powered sub is equipped with operating controls on the back-panel to ensure excellent flexibility and maximum performance in practically any installation or application.
- Volume Output Level: The volume output level control is used to balance the powered subwoofer's output level to blend better with the other speakers in your home audio system.
- Low-Pass Crossover: The low-pass crossover controls the subwoofer's upper-frequency cut-off, which can be set between 40 and 150 Hz (12dB per octave). The low pass crossover is used to obtain the optimum transition between the subwoofer and your main speakers when the subwoofer is connected using the speaker-level inputs.
- High-Pass Filter: The powered subwoofer is equipped with a fixed 150Hz (6dB per octave) high-pass filter for its speaker-level inputs and outputs. This high-pass filter is used when you connect your AV receiver's main speaker outputs to the powered sub's speaker-level inputs, and the powered sub's speaker-level outputs to the inputs on your main left and right speakers.
Unique Cabinet Design: The ForceField Series powered subwoofer uses a rigid cabinet with non-parallel sides to minimize standing waves and distortion. This unique and attractive cabinet shape, with its non-parallel cabinet walls (the top is narrower than the bottom when viewed from the front), helps the ForceField powered sub achieve extraordinarily deep and accurate bass that is ideal for music and movie soundtracks.
Isolation Feet: The soft, energy-absorbing feet provided with ForceField Series powered sub serve a number of functions. First, they hold the subwoofer at the correct distance off the floor so the dowing-firing passive radiator creates significantly increased output at the lowest frequencies. Second, the soft feet keep the subwoofer from moving around on the floor.
Auto Power On/Off: The GoldenEar Technology ForceField Series powered subwoofer will turn on when it receives an audio signal at its line-level or speaker level inputs. If no signal is sensed for a period of time, the powered subwoofer will automatically switch off.
Detachable AC Power Cord: The Golden Technology ForceField powered subwoofer comes with a detachable 10' AC power cord that will need to be plugged into the back of the sub and into an AC wall outlet or surge protector/line conditioner (sold separately - see Accessories Tab).